CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Lady!

At this time five years ago, I was soundly asleep after having driven back and forth all over Teton County Idaho looking for the bumpiest possible roads. I had been having contractions off and on for over two weeks- at one point they were four minutes apart and very regular, so we drove to the hospital, and then they stopped.... Because this had happened several times, I was already on maternity leave. My sub had quit her other job to be a long-term sub for me, so I didn't feel like I could send her home. So, we had been trying to get labor going, and none of the tricks were working- the baby fought to get her own way- just a glimpse of things to come :)

About 1:30 in the morning I was awakened by contractions, but since this had happened before, I didn't want to wake Tim until it was REALLY time. I went out on the couch to read my book. The contractions became more regular and then I had a weird one. I internally heard (I know that sounds strange, but I don't know how else to describe it) a pop, but didn't think to much about it since nothing else happened...until I rolled over that is. I realized my water had broken! (I still haven't figured out how I managed to get up and keep the couch dry :)


I got Tim and we got ready and headed for the hospital. We left the house by 5:00 am, and by 6:00 am I was standing in a puddle at the ER check-in counter. A few hours later we were in my room and they were finally getting my epidural started. It seemed like it took forever. Then about 1 1/2 hours later the epidural had worn off- the anesthesiologist came in and had to give me several more doses of medicine before it even touched the pain, so much that my legs were completely non-existant to me anymore. They started paging the doctor when I started pushing at 5:30 pm- he arrived at 6:38... (yeah- I loved him, but I was NOT impressed by that!) When he came in he walked in VERY casually, not realizing that two minutes before the nurse was out in the hall yelling for someone to come help her because this baby was coming NOW! He walked in and headed for the sink making casual conversation then said something to the effect of "let's see when this baby is coming"- then he turned around and saw that her head was already halfway out, and the damage to my body was already quite extensive... Alix was born at 6:40 pm.

She immediately let us know she was here, and not to be messed with! We decided to name her Alishaundra Ruth Dieckmann- the Alishaundra came from my lifelong love of the name Alex for a girl. I have never particularly liked Alexandra or Alexis though, and we didn't want to just name her Alex since people would always think she was a boy from written name only... Alishaundra is the portuguese pronunciation for Alexandra, which reminded both Tim and I of our missions. So, we just took the portuguese pronunciation and spelled it phonetically in english. Ruth is the name of my paternal grandmother. She is always referred to by her children as "my angel mother". I never got to meet her, but I have heard so many stories about how sweet she was, and how close to the Lord she lived. We wanted to give our sweet little girl a tie to her heritage, as well as a strong example to look to.














Alix is such a sweet little girl. I can't believe it has already been five years! She is such a good big sister! In fact, she spends much of her time begging to hold Jonathan- and fortunately she's only forgotten the "don't pick the baby up by yourself" rule a few times... Alix is a leader and is very good at helping others do what they are supposed to. Her preschool teacher depends on Alix to get the other kids in the class to try new things. If Alix does it, the others will too. I love my sweet little girl, and I am so proud of most of her choices. Things can get dramatic around here at times, but she really is a joy to have around.














I love you sweet Alix!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Birthday Alex!!! Time does go by fast. I hope you had a great day celebrating her!

Kristen said...

It's not weird. I heard a pop when my water broke also. Such a sweet post!

Heather said...

Laura! I am on a search for my Snow College Snow Hall friends! I have been thinking about you all! I love your blog-I hope you don't mind I've intruded. I just found Jan's facebook page and I want to be in contact with you! I hope you remember me!

Heather Green