I have decided there is something to that "twin bond" thing people talk about. Apparently Miriam and Bethany's was lacking something since Bethany had experienced something Miriam hadn't.... so, Miriam decided to fix that.
Tuesday afternoon the girls were playing in their toys, and decided to dump out a tub of toys, then use the tub to play in. This is nothing new. They love boxes! Diaper boxes, toy boxes, even laundry baskets.... they just love climbing in things. SO, I didn't think anything about it, until they got OUT of the toy box and turned it over. They started climbing up on top of it,and were quite proud of themselves for doing so. I was not quite as impressed. I was sitting at the kitchen table sewing, and immediately stopped and was headed for the front room to stop the climbing. I was just undoing the gate when Miriam fell off the toybox. She caught herself and immediately started to cry. Now, keep in mind that this toy box is actually just a tupperware tub, and that it is only about 18 inches high....
I moved Bethany off the tub, turned it back over and went to check on Miriam, who was still crying. She was holding her arm and crying "owie, owie, owie" I finally got her to move her hand and noticed it looked a little funny. The arm was starting to swell just about her wrist, and I knew that wasn't a good sign. I sat with her on the couch while Tim got us an icepack. When she continued crying for a while, we gave her some ibuprofin too. This happened just before 5:00, which is of course when the dr. office closes, so I went to call to see about an urgent care facility and Tim took over comforting duties. It didn't take long for her to get distracted by something her sisters were doing and stop crying. She started playing with the others and was using her arm. She was picking things up, holding things, etc. So we decided to hold off on the dr.
Wednesday she used her arm all day. She played fairly normally with her sisters, though she did grab her arm and say owie a few times when she would bump it, etc. But, no swelling, very little complaining, and full usage all day. So Tim and I thought maybe she had just tweaked her wrist or something the night before, but it wasn't anything to worry about.
Thursday I had piano lessons with a student that brings her kids with her. She has a little girl just one month older than the girls. Miriam was whiney throughout the lesson, but I didn't think too much about it because Mia really was being mean. In fact, she grabbed each of the girls and squoze their cheeks at least three times each. (including leaving scratches on Miriam one of those times). She spent part of the lesson in timeout, and then when that didn't change her behavior, she spent the rest of the lesson on my lap.... SO I though HER actions explained Miriam's behavior....
Shortly after the student and her kids left, Miriam was running across the room and tripped over her own feet (a common occurance with ALL my girls...) She cught herself, and started SCREAMING!!! This was a serious "I am in PAIN" scream.... She cried really hard for a few minutes and I decided to give her some ibuprofin, and she didn't stop screaming until it kicked in almost a half an hour later. Obviously, I decided this was something the dr. needed to look at!
Fortunately for me, my dad was willing to keep Alix and Bethany at home when I called the dr and they told me they had an open appointment in less than half an hour. I put shoes on us both and we took off. I explained what had happened, and the dr said it was probably broken, even with such a small fall. It just takes the right landing....
When Bethany broke her leg a few months ago, the dr took forever coming back in to talk about casting. He wasn't sure it was broken, and it took him a really long time to read the xrays, because it wasnt' really clear... With Miriam, her was in the room with us less than five minutes after we got back from doing the xrays! He walked in the room saying, "she managed to get them both!" In other words, she broke the radius and fractured the ulna in hher forearm. Who knew such a little fall could do that?
Due the the fall that morning, the arm was swollen again, so he couldn't put a real cast on it. We just put on a splint and I have to take her back on Tuesday for a plaster cast. I am definitely not looking forward to a whole summer with no swimming, no baths, etc...
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
So is everybody in casts? Poor you
So sorry! Take lots of pictures! Aubrie had 3 different cases, so it was fun to take pictures! Hope you don't get the comments from everyone saying, "What do you do to your kids"
Post a Comment