CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 21, 2012

A is for Airplane

Last year I heard about some people that were doing "alphabet summer" -- themed days to keep kids occupied and learning throughout the summer.  We did quite a few activities and had a great time.  We really focused on the letters.  For example, we did "P" day.  We had a P picnic where everything we ate started with P.  We ate Pizza, Peaches, Pears, Peas, Pineapple, and Purple Punch.  After our picnic we played with peanut butter play-dough, and made little Princess storybooks.  We had lots of fun.  The kids have been asking me for months now when we get to do alphabet summer again, and always got impatient when I told them we had to wait for summer.  


Tim and I started our list about a month before school got out so I could get things organized.  I decided instead of focusing SO MUCH on the alphabet this year we would just use it as a jumping off point.  For example, our first day of alphabet summer was last Monday.  We did "A".  Rather than doing a bunch of random things that start with a- we did airplanes.  I went to the library and got several books about airplanes.  I made airline tickets and "information packets"  for their flight.  I made snack bags full of pretzels, almonds, and craisins.  We strapped the kids into the van and I gave them their boarding passes.  I introduced them to "Captain Daddy" and they were so excited!  They just giggled as I gave them the information packets.  They were actually travel bingo games and a list of all the cities we were going to pass through on our little trip.  Since only one of the girls really reads I made a little picture of something that they would see in each city so they would know when to cross it off.  Then we "took off".  


We drove about an hour north to visit the Museum at Hill Air Force Base.  This is totally going going to sound like I'm bragging, and I guess it is.... but honestly, making the list of places with the pictures was one of the best ideas I have had in a long time!  It was great!  I didn't get asked how much longer we were going to be in the car until we were almost there. And, my response was super easy.  I asked them how many more places they had on their list.  There were three left.  They knew as soon as we crossed off the last one we would be there.  An HOUR in the car and I only got asked ONCE!!!  It was amazing!  They really enjoyed looking for each of the items!


We went to lunch and then to the museum.  The kids were fascinated by the gigantic planes they had outside the building!  They loved walking around each plane and looking up into the doors opened to let out landing gear.  On some of the planes you could see up into the body of the plane.  A few of the larger lower planes were low enough Tim and I had to duck under them and the kids thought that was funny.  They made a game of standing underneath the planes and jumping up, trying to hit their heads on each one.  Miriam was the instigator on that one, and was super excited any time she was able to do it.  She got especially excited when we arrived at a MASSIVE plane that she didn't even have to jump to touch.  Eventually the heat got to them and they wanted to go inside.  


We went in and the kids really enjoyed it but they weren't quite as excited about the inside planes since they couldn't touch.  In fact, Jonathan DID try to touch.  While Tim and I were looking elsewhere for a second, he climbed under the ropes and halfway up a ladder...  he wasn't too happy about being strapped into the stroller after that, but he'd already used his warning...   The coolest part of the whole museum was being able to introduce the family to my Uncle Clif.  


Clif Jolley was my Dad's brother in law, and one of my favorite people ever!  He was a pilot for the National Guard during the Korean War.  He was the first Ace of the war for the National Guard and ended up with 8 confirmed planes down and 13 probables.  (actually the family knows that two of those probables were confirmed, but the since he took the film from the plane's camera and sent it to his family instead of turning it in....)  There are actually three different locations in the museum dedicated to him.  His medals and his story are displayed in the section about the Korean war, then there is a large plaque with  lots of pictures and a more in depth look at his life and service in the Utah Avaiation Hall of Fame Exhibit.  (the girls were there when he was inducted, but the twins were only a few months old so none of them remember it).  The one that really captured their attention was a replica of his plane-- the Jolley Roger.


After we left the museum we went to see my sister Jana and her family that live just 10 minutes from the museum.  The kids had a great time with their cousins.  Over all, it was just a fun day!










No comments: