CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A New Start for Laura

today in Relief Society we had an awesome guest speaker. They labeled it a conference and all of the ladies in the ward attended, including those in young womens and primary (the young men leaders, young men, and young women took over the last hour of primary (sharing time) to make that possible.

Anyway, the speaker is a wonderful lady named Merilee Webb. She actually lives down the street from me so I have known her for years, but she always inspires me. She graduated with a BA and an MA in music, and has taught all over the place, including BYU Hawaii. She rented out her house and spent three years there. She says it changed her. One of the things she talked about is the meaning of "aloha". People say it very casually, until they understand what it truly means. Hawaiians believe that in the creation of man, God breathed into him his "ha" - or gave him life. So whhen they say aloha- they are literally presenting you with all they are on a fundamental level. The lei also has great significance. It is basically giving you " a hug around the neck from your ancestors and your unborn children". She sang a chant that translated said "You are the most precious of all of God's creations. He has for you the highest of mountains to climb. You are the precious adornment worn by your ancestors." I cried.
I had the thought, am I really a precious creation? The answer came- Yes. And then the thought, am I really a precious adornment to my ancestors. Again, yes. I am a Child of God, and I know why I am here, but do I live up to those expectations?
Another quote she gave "maybe the things we're doing keep us very involved inthe THICK of THIN things". I know I am guilty of this one. I always feel like I am busy, but so many of the things I spend my time on are not important in the longrun. It seems like I can always find time to turn on my favorite tv show, or to pop onto facebook to see what people are up to , or to spend time playing stupid mindless games on the computer, and yet- how often do I find the time to study my scriptures? To cuddle my kids one on one, or to take them with me when I go somewhere for an alone turn. To do the "extra" projects with them that I have planned, but somehow lack the energy...
"The majority of us are too noisy in our minds and too busy with things of lesser importance"

This goes right along with what our Stake President said yesterday in the chapel session at stake temple day. He talked about having 112 things on his to do list. We all have lots to do, but priorities make all the difference. Laundry can wait (and yes, he specifically said laundry :)

I don't know if this post makes sense to anyone reading it, but it was significant to me. I am going to do better about prioritizing my time. I let the THIN things become far too important, but really, it matters to my kids far more that I cuddle with them than that I got all the alundry folded and put away :) Take the other night for example-- I stayed up until 2:30 am folding 12 loads of laundry. I got it all done, and I felt good about it and was so happy to have it done, but then the next day I had far less patience with my kids than I should have. I really should have left it....

No comments: