So, even though we try to be careful, we have ended up with the flu here. Bethany started it, bbut only threw up once Thursday night. She has been known to occasionally gag herself, so we weren't too worried since there was no accompanying fever, etc. Then, on Sunday we decided to skip out on choir practice. I was needing some food or I was going to be sick, and since I had announced our news in Relief Society, they were pretty understanding about us not staying. I am SO GLAD we left when we did!
We got everyone strapped in the car and drove the two blocks home, and just as we pulled in the driveway, Bethany threw up EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, she went straight up to the bathtub. That started out quite a week. Since then all three girls and I have spent our fair share of time throwing up (and yes, mine was the flu, not just morning sickness- you'll just have to trust that one...) The twins have also had some not so fun diapers, way too many of them in fact. That led to our visit to the dr office Friday.
Alix was complaining about her ears, as the flu was accompanied by quite a cold as well. The throwing up was done for her Monday, but she has been sleeping in the bean bag chair all week so she doesn't spend ALL night coughing -just most of it :) Bethany also has the cold, and her lungs have gotten raspy, along with a fever that won't go away. Miriam actually seemed to be doing to best of the three. Until Friday morning.
When the girls woke up Miriam and her entire crib were covered in quite an unpleasant mess. I got her into a bath and called the dr since that made 5 days straight she was throwing up. We were able to get in, after a little effort on my dad's part. (he had to take his care to Tim's work and trade so we had carseats). He was then VERY SWEET and went with us to the Dr. I am SO GLAD he did!
As it turned out Alix and Bethany are fine, but Miriam was dehydrated. So, they decided to do an IV there in the office. It took an hour, four nurses, and five pokes to finally get an iv line in. I felt so bad for Miriam. She just looked at me and cried. I could tell she was wondering why I was holding her down so the strangers could hurt her. I was betraying her trust, and it killed me. I know that ultimately it helped her, but she didn't....
We are doing a little better now. No one has thrown up since Friday morning. The explosive diarrhea has slowed down a lot and the girls are sucking down liters of pedialyte. The house has been a mess all week, but I finally had energy (and a few minutes away from sick clingy girls) to do all the dishes. Then my mom took over and did all the stuff I should have done, but haven't been able to get to. Hopefully this week will be better.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Ugh. Way to keep things in perspective and let people help you out. The good thing is that flu passes. The other good thing is that you're now keenly aware of what to have on hand if a flu pandemic happens like the experts say it will happen.
Post a Comment