CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Broken Leg for Bethany

On Alix's birthday (almost two weeks ago) we went to the Aquarium with my sister and her family. Then we all went to Burger King for dinner (Alix's choice....) She wanted to go to a place with a playground. After dinner we went in to the playground, which I have to admit was the largest playground I have seen at a fast food restaurant. The girls were having a great time playing on the slides, etc. Their 10 year old cousin took Miriam up to the very top of the very high slide, and she absoluetly LOVED it! She was so excited and laughed, squealed, etc.... So then it was Bethany's turn. She screamed the whole time. She was not excited like her sister. I was standing at the bottom of the slide when they got down and by then she was screaming hysterically. I noticed that her leg was twisted and up underneath her cousin's bum. Not a good thing.
She cried for a long time, and just wanted to be held. Tim held her the rest of the time and since she was nodding off, we just assumed she had been really tired but she was okay. When we got home i sat on the living room floor with pajamas to get the girls ready for bed. Tim set Bethany down and told her to come to me. She took one step, started screaming, and collapsed. That is when I realized something was really wrong. We wrapped an icepack around her leg, gave her some ibuprofen, and then put her to bed a little while later.
The next morning, she still would not put any weight on her leg without screaming and yelling owie, so I knew I needed to get her into the doctor. My sister had slept over with her kids, and since Tim had our car at work, she ran to the store for me and bought a car seat for me. Then I left the other girls with my mom and took her car to the doctor. We spent the morning there, and the dr wanted xrays, buut since it was the Friday before Easter, half their staff was on vacation. This included all of the xray techs that were certified in pediatrics.... So we had to go off to a different clinic where thay had the right staff on duty. This actually turned out to be a good thing.
Tim got home from work and was able to meet us at the clinic for the xrays. This was very good since I could be anywhere near them as I am pregnant. I was really glad Tim was there since she was freaking out with HIM holding her. I know she really would have been hysterical if it was just some random nurse.... ANyway, they got the xrays and couldn't find anything on them. So they told us to use the splint they had made for a few days and come back in a week.
I made it back to the doctor yesterday. Bethany has steadily improved with putting weight on her leg, etc. but, everytime she gets bumped, or trips at all, she screams and then limps for hours. So, obviously something is still going on. The biggest tip off though is that my child that is OBSESSED with shoes screams whenever I try to put one on her left foot.
We took more xrays last night, and the doctor said hhe didn't see anything definite, but there was one thing on the tibia hhe wanted to look at better. He thought it may have been an issue with the xray itself, but he wasn't sure. However, since we were there at their extended hours, there wasn't a radiologist to look at them. We decided to go ahead and cast her leg since it would prevent all the bumps, etc that have bothered her so much this week.
Today, the doctor called and said there was a small fracture on her tibia. So there was something there afterall. I'm really glad we followed up with it, and that the doctor was willing to look over and over. She was already doing better after the day of her leg being protected....
She looks really cute with her little purple cast....I need to get pictures tomorrow!

3 comments:

Jana said...

What an ordeal! Glad they caught it and now she can get better! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

So so sad.

Jan said...

Poor thing! Hope she is doing ok. Take lots of pictures!!