CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Anniversary!!

Happy Anniversary to Us!!!


So today marks the eighth anniversary of our first date, and it has me wandering down memory lane a bit... We were brought together by our good friends Dianna....
Tim and Max, Dianna's husband had been really good friends since just after Tim's mission, so 1994. Dianna and Max got married, and Dianna started setting Tim up with all the dental hygienists she met through her work with dental insurance. Tim said he had had enough, but Dianna refused to give up, thank heavens... She was out walking the halls one day in church and happened to be standing across from my picture in the missionary case. She said my plaque "glowed" at her, and she had the thought "Tim and Laura would be PERFECT for each other!" The thought wouldn't go away, so she called my mom. She asked how soon I would be home and found out I was set to return from Portugal in three weeks.

Tim was persueded to attend my homecoming speech in church, but fully admits her didn't listen to a word I said until I started speaking Portuguese. Dianna wanted him to call me, but he really wasn't all that excited about yet another set up. One afternoon Tim was over at their house, and she made the call for him, then put him on the phone. What started out as a hesitant conversation finally ended when Dianna got on the phone an hour and a half later and told him she needed her phone back. So, he asked me out, and I said no. (I was selling Pampered Chef at the time and had a party scheduled for that night...)

He called and asked me out, and again I had a party so I said no. He was going to give up but decided to try one more time. He called a third time and asked me out, and I had literally gotten off the phone ten minutes before cancelling a party for Saturday, the 21st of October. So, we finally went out. We went to the Off Broadway Theater and saw "The Little Shop of Horrors" and then went to Leatherby's for icecream. (we even remembered to buy a cup of hot fudge for Dianna as a thank you...) We actually got back to my house around 10:00, but sat in his car until after midnight talking. We really hit it off well!

Tim called again on Monday and we went out on Tuesday (when the brazen young man kissed me!), Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, etc. Three weeks later, after I had commented to my mom I could see myself marrying him, we found ourselves in a SLIGHTLY awkward situation.... My mom and sister Lyndall grilled TIm for two and a half hours.... they asked him every possible question you can imagine, and I have to say I was very impressed with the way he handled himself. By the end of the inquisition, my mom yelled up the stairs to my dad to ask if there was anything he wanted to add. He said no, so my mom leaned over, hit Tim on the forehead, and said something to the effect of, "there you go, you have the stamp of approval to marry our daughter". Imagine both of our shock! Tim looked at me with really wide eyes, and just said thank you. A few weeks later we went ring shopping, he proposed on Christmas Eve, and we were married six months and five days after our first date!


A lot has happened in these last eight years and things have changed in ways i couldn't have imagined back then. We have been (and still are) very happy. We have been immensely blessed. We have three beautiful daughters, and a marriage that will last into the eternities. We have been so fortunate and I KNOW that God had a hand in bringing us together. I am so Grateful for my WONDERFUL Husby!




I LOVE YOU TIM!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your anniversary :) Or at least one of them ;)

jessica simonsen said...

isnt life GRAND?!!!!!! thanks for sharing your story. it is so fun to look back and see how much has changed and how much more in love with your hubby you are. even though you never thought you could love him more than when you married him!! And think we have them for eternity!!

LizzyP said...

And I remember the letter you wrote me telling me all about it! In fact, I got that letter and then wrote one just like it to my former companions in Portugal just six months after receiving yours! CRAZY! A vida e bella, nao e? (I can't remember how to put accents and tildes on there.)