So tonight is the eve of my babies first birthday, and it finds me walking down memory lane a bit. At this time last year I was so tired of being huge and pregnant. My body ached and I couldn't sleep, no matter how many positions I tried. I had a hard time walking because of my sciatic nerve and I couldn't keep up with my busy toddler. I just knew things would get easier once the babies came.... boy was I WRONG!
I had been doing the false labor thing for over a week, and had stayed up most of the night several times having contractions, only to have them go away in the early morning hours. I stayed home from church Sunday because I had been up for so long I couldn't stay awake any longer. I was still having contractions, but they had slowed down enough that I could get about a half hour of sleep at a time.
I went to bed Sunday night and woke up with a contraction at 1:49 am. I immediately knew these were the real thing, but since my labor with Alix took 17 hours, I figured I would be waiting a while. I had another contraction ten minutes later, then a third at 2:10. I decided to go out on the couch so Tim could get some sleep before we needed to go to the hospital. I rolled over and realized the third contraction had broken my water. I woke Tim up and had him get me a towel and then we started getting things ready to go to the hospital. I had my bag packed, but there were those few last minutes items to gather. Anyway, I signed into the hospital security register at 3:01 am.
Tim came in and it seemed like forever before they got me into a room, though since my water had broken and my contracttions were only about three minutes apart they did just put me straight into a room instead of doing the whole triage thing. Good thing too since I was progressing much more quickly this time.... When the nurse checked me for the first time I was at a 4. When she checked again less than an hour later I was an 8+. The epidural was actually kind of pointless since I was already so far along, but they wanted it in case we needed to do an emergency c-section. When my doctor came in he said he had a lady down the hall that had been there since dinner time the night before and just wanted to see who would deliver first. He checked me and said we were ready to move into the O.R. for delivery. This was about 5 am.

Once we got all set up in the O.R. it was time to start pushing. I was expecting a huge ordeal since it took and hour 10 minutes with Alix. Very different experience this time. I pushed twice before our baby A came, and she was our Miriam. Then one set of cantractions to rest so Bethany wouldn't have time to turn back around (since she had been breech most of the pregnancy and had only turned around since the Thursday before). One more push and Bethany came. I have never felt so happy (and relieved) as I did when I heard Bethany start to cry, trying to top Miriam's cry at the other end of the room.

Both girls were completely healthy. Miriam was born at 5:22 am weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long. Bethany was born 3 minutes later at 5:25 am weighing 6 lbs 4 oz and 19 inches long. This year has been an exhausting journey, but it sure has been worth the ride!
I had been doing the false labor thing for over a week, and had stayed up most of the night several times having contractions, only to have them go away in the early morning hours. I stayed home from church Sunday because I had been up for so long I couldn't stay awake any longer. I was still having contractions, but they had slowed down enough that I could get about a half hour of sleep at a time.
I went to bed Sunday night and woke up with a contraction at 1:49 am. I immediately knew these were the real thing, but since my labor with Alix took 17 hours, I figured I would be waiting a while. I had another contraction ten minutes later, then a third at 2:10. I decided to go out on the couch so Tim could get some sleep before we needed to go to the hospital. I rolled over and realized the third contraction had broken my water. I woke Tim up and had him get me a towel and then we started getting things ready to go to the hospital. I had my bag packed, but there were those few last minutes items to gather. Anyway, I signed into the hospital security register at 3:01 am.
Tim came in and it seemed like forever before they got me into a room, though since my water had broken and my contracttions were only about three minutes apart they did just put me straight into a room instead of doing the whole triage thing. Good thing too since I was progressing much more quickly this time.... When the nurse checked me for the first time I was at a 4. When she checked again less than an hour later I was an 8+. The epidural was actually kind of pointless since I was already so far along, but they wanted it in case we needed to do an emergency c-section. When my doctor came in he said he had a lady down the hall that had been there since dinner time the night before and just wanted to see who would deliver first. He checked me and said we were ready to move into the O.R. for delivery. This was about 5 am.

Once we got all set up in the O.R. it was time to start pushing. I was expecting a huge ordeal since it took and hour 10 minutes with Alix. Very different experience this time. I pushed twice before our baby A came, and she was our Miriam. Then one set of cantractions to rest so Bethany wouldn't have time to turn back around (since she had been breech most of the pregnancy and had only turned around since the Thursday before). One more push and Bethany came. I have never felt so happy (and relieved) as I did when I heard Bethany start to cry, trying to top Miriam's cry at the other end of the room.

Both girls were completely healthy. Miriam was born at 5:22 am weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long. Bethany was born 3 minutes later at 5:25 am weighing 6 lbs 4 oz and 19 inches long. This year has been an exhausting journey, but it sure has been worth the ride!








No comments:
Post a Comment