I have always thought that Bethany had huge tonsils. Every time I would look into her screaming mouth, my first thought was "That can't be normal!" I wasn't terribly worried about it though, because I have large tonsils too, and I have made it into adulthood just fine. We did decide we would talk to the doctor about it at her birthday check-up. A few days before her check-up we took her to the dentist and he told us about some the problems tonsils can cause other than sore throats. Almost all of them fit Bethany, we just didn't realize her tonsils were the cause.
Anyway at her dr. appt a few days later we got a referral to go to an ENT at Primary Children's Hospital. That appointment was the 10th of Nov... At first when the Dr. came in he looked at Bethany's history and realized she'd never had strept, and only a few bad sore throats. He started talking about the risks of surgery and that it isn't an easy thing, there is pain involved, etc. It was almost like he was trying to talk us out of it. Then he started to examine her.
The fist thing he said was "WOW! Those things are HUGE! Can she eat without gagging?" The tone of the conversation then completely changed. It went from trying to talk us out of it to talking about how soon we could do it. He said he thought his first openings were in about three weeks, and we should schedule for as soon as possible.Fast forward to today....
We got all the paperwork stuff done and then it was time to get her pre-op health check done. She changed into a gown (and was adorable BTW) and then the nurse practitioner came in to check her out.
She was perfectly fine with everything, and I was pleasantly surprised. No tears, no refusing to cooperate, nothing. The only thing she was even hesitant about was the little pulse-oximeter- she wasn't quite sure about the little red light on her finger,
Alix and Miriam were so concerned about their sister, and were very sweet to her all day :)







1 comment:
Hope she is doing better!!
Post a Comment