CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The quilts are done!!!

When Tim had vacation in September we went to St. George for the weekend while my mom kept the kids.  It was a great vacation, and it gave me lots of driving time to work on projects... I'd decided shortly after we moved in May that I was going to make quilts for the girls for Christmas.  I had this design in my head with all sorts of butterflies that I knew were going to be a pain to cut and put on, but that would be the main design element.  I ended getting all of the butterflies traced and cut in the car on the way home from our trip :)

Since then I have spent almost every night working on the quilts after the kids have gone to bed. This has meant many nights of getting to bed at 2:00am and then back up at 7:00am with the kids, usually with a few more wake ups with kids during that time.  (One of the reasons Bethany got her tonsils out was sleep apnea that had her waking up to go potty 5-6 times a night, all requiring Mommy, of course...) Needless to say, I have been seriously sleep deprived for the last several months...

Here are the finished quilts

This one is Alix's -- her bedroom is orange and blue, so I wanted something that was going to work in there, but that was feminie and a little more grown up....

This was the main fabric that I based everything on.  I LOVE it!  The color palatte was perfect for what I wanted ...


 
 This is another one that has all the colors I wanted.
 You can't really see the detail very well here, but the light orange one has butterflies all over it, the blue is solid, and the pink and dark orange have little curliques everywhere.
This is all of it put together, but I didn't realize until after Alix was asleep under it that I didn't have a picture that really showed the whole thing well.
This is the picture we took just after she opened it on Christmas morning.

Bethanay loves pink and Miriam is OBSESSED with purple, and they both like all sorts of creepy crawlies, but especially butterflies.  So, when I found the fabric in the center square and the top left corner, I knew it was perfect!  They are both butterflies, but one is on a pink background and the other purple.  They both have all the same butterflies and all the same colors, so I knew I could make it work well.

 Bethany's quilt is the one with the pink sashing and Miriam's is the one with the purple- obviously....




I did a bunch of blocks with a butterfly in profile and a the other half with two patches.

This butterfly is my favoritve!  I love the tail on the wings.  I thought about doing all of the butterflies like this, but decided variety was more important, and now I'm glad I did both styles. 
This is the full butterfly. 
 This is sweet Bethany sitting on her quilt.  (and yes there are both pink and purple butterflies on both quilts)
This is Miriam with her finished quilt :)

*update- I didn't make one for Jonathan since he is still in a crib and young enough that I don't really know what he likes yet.  I will do one for him when he moves to a big boy bed and has an opinion or two... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! thank you for sharing the hard wonderful work you did.
mom nanc

Anonymous said...

So cute!! I love them! Where is the one for Jonathan?