CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Country Tis of Thee


On the 4th of July, 2000- I was sitting at a bus stop in the middle of nowhere, in Portugal. My wonderful companion and I pulled out our hymn books and used them to memorize all four verses of the national anthem. Yes, there are really four verses! I would challenge everyone to pull out the words, and to really read them. I gained a much greater appreciation of our great nation and the hardships that people faced to get us to where we are. It also helped me recognize the responsibility we all have to keep us free, and not just from forces without.

I am so grateful to live in this wonderful nation. The other day we all had the opportunity to vote. Did I agree with the results of all the elections? No. However, I am grateful that I, a middle-class woman, was able to participate in the election process. I am happy to live in a free country where WE get to choose the people we want to lead us. That in and of itself is pretty amazing when you look at all the other countries in the world.

I am grateful for the Founding Fathers of the United States of America. I believe they were Divinely inspired in writing the Declaration of Independence, and especially the Constitution. I truly believe it is an amazing document that affords us the freedoms we enjoy. Unfortunately, I see it under attack today, both from within and without the country. I hope and pray that people will fight to protect it, and not accept some of the socialist ideas that have gained popularity in recent years (under different names, of course).

No comments: