CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Our Heros


One of my heroes is my uncle, Cliff Jolley. He flew in WWII and then again in the Korean War. He was the first National Guard Flying Ace of that conflict. He was an amazing man! The following is an excerpt taken from the Standard Examiner, written when he was inducted into the Aviation hall of Fame last Memorial Day.
"In April 1952, he was called to serve in the Korean War, flying the F-86 Sabrejet. He shot down his first Soviet-built MiG-15 on May 4, 1952, and went on to serve a seven-month, 100-mission tour.
His most significant day in combat was July 4, 1952. He and a wingman were returning to base from a bomber support mission when they were attacked by several MiGs. Jolley saw that one of the fighters was on his wingman's tail, so he warned his wingman off and went after the attacker even though another plane was on his own tail. The plane attacking Jolley shot off half his canopy, wounded Jolley and damaged his plane. Even so, Jolley turned and attacked four other oncoming MiGs, damaging one. Jolley then turned his plane toward the Yellow Sea, but when his wingman called for help again, Jolley turned back, even though his own plane was low on fuel, out of ammunition and damaged. Jolley managed to meet his wingman, and the two flew toward the Yellow Sea, where both ejected. His wingman was never found.
The ejection broke Jolley's tailbone, as well as his back in two places.
Despite his injuries, Jolley returned to combat 10 days later."
Uncle Cliff was truly an incredible man. He always thought of other people, and was so humble about his accomplishments. He was an amazing husband too. He and his wife Millie (my dad's big sister) truly loved each other. Their relationship is one of the things that stopped me from making a huge mistake in my dating life. I knew I wanted to be cherished like Cliff cherished Millie. Their marriage is the gold-standard that I am trying to live up to.
I am so grateful for the way this man influenced my life. I obviously didn't know him during his service since he was discharged due to diabetes at age 33. I am very thankful he served our country, and that he helped me gain a greater respect for all the wonderful men and women that do so much to preserve our freedom. THANK YOU to all those that have made such a sacrifice! And thank you to their families too. I am grateful for your willingness to preserve our great nation.

No comments: